Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6332 Post(s)
Liked 4,927 Times in 3,390 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Interestingly enough I have loud hubs because they work so well on my commute. I have about 10 miles of my commute on a MUP and in the past saying "On your left" produced some interesting results (moving to their left was a good one, lol) and ringing the bell usually resulted in only the tilting of their head. But I had some robust wheels built up around a DT Swiss 350 hub and that thing buzzes. I added a 54t ratchet and it now sounds like a swarm of murder hornets. EVERYONE turns around when I backpedal behind them. It's such an unnatural sound that in my experience it works way better than calling out and a bell. I'll keep these wheels for commuting as long as possible.

Shimano hubs are quiet. I had a pair of 105 hubs on some wheels that came with my first road bike and they were silent but still seemed to work pretty well. Low maintenance as well.

My weekend road warrior wheels are still a bit buzzy cause they're just cheap shop branded wheels so I'm still part of the baseball card in your spokes cool guy crowd.
Still you better say "on your left", "passing left", "bike back" or ring that bell when you get near me. When I'm walking with my wife, you might get clothelined when I point at something across the way.

Those that do stupid stuff to your announcement are noobs that will later learn what to do. Noobs will always be among us. As are the people that show up in the spring for their one or two walks a year on the MUP that will be forever noobs. <grin>

Any how, that is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.