Old 04-23-21, 09:18 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6269 Post(s)
Liked 4,293 Times in 2,405 Posts
I bought, and used, a Bell Biker in the late 70s, possibly as early as 1978. It lasted until about 1985 when I let go of one handlebar on the most epic mountain bike jump of my life. I smashed it after going over the high side and ended up with “camera motor drive” vision. (Moving my head from side-to-side felt like I was taking pictures with a motor drive).

I smashed a MSR when one of the two dogs I was riding with decided that she was afraid of drainage grates on the road. She stopped, the other dog didn’t nor did I. I remember a might THWACK when my head hit the ground and two dogs jumping over me in a very graceful and beautiful arc.

One of my most memorable car she’s happened with a Bell V1-Pro. I smashed it to pieces when I hit a curb at about 20 mph and did a Greg Louganis dismount...full layout with a pivot on my head.

Since then I’ve smashed so many helmets that I have no idea how many. It could be as high as 20 or 30. With the exception of going over the high side, I have not once lost consciousness in any crash. I remember them in glorious technicolor.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: