Old 04-25-21, 09:21 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 2,037 Times in 991 Posts
In what seems like forever in mental years, I finally broke down and bought some 700x42s. It gets me out into the off-road stuff quickly, as well as serves as a data point as to tire volume and how good it feels to me. I am now officially an unsponsored Soma Supple Vitesse EX tire tester. After a busier day, I got to mounting the 42s onto the CXP21 rims I had. Per my above calculations, I have set the pressure at 50/53 PSI front and rear. I actually suited up to take the bike for a spin and...it began pouring rain.

So, we'll all have to deal with indoor photos until it dries up again. The 620 looks comfortable on them and there is ample vertical clearance for fenders as well as good lateral clearance. The tires measure 38mm wide and will stretch a little. I'm hoping 1-2mm so that they run a bit truer to size. Still, they do not compare to 48s in size and volume. Putting the wheels next to each other was pretty sobering in spite of the nominal 6mm width difference.

But first, a comparison...

700x48s @ 20 PSI vs. 700x33s at 70 PSI:

Then 700x48s @ 20PSI vs. 700x42s @ 50 PSI:

The 48s are not joking around here. Width versus volume, no?

Anyway, let's see how these 42s look on the 620:

Probably should have been on here all along!

Plenty of room in all directions.

I think my rear wheel's dish is a touch off as there is more lateral room on the other side. Still, this doesn't bother me.

Yup. Maybe I'll re-dish...even if I thought I checked it initially when truing and tensioning these wheels after I bought them (used).

This is a good 10mm give or take. All the fender room. Even true 42s, one could still likely get (slender) fenders to work. The 620: always impressing. Monday should dry out at least at the halfway point, or so I hope. I'll test ride then.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: