Old 05-09-21, 12:53 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
Has anyone had any issues with these wheels being.. Flexy ?

I have my rear wheel (R65) laced to a Carbon-Ti X-Hub, 24h, rim brake. When I first installed it, there was a noticeable amount of side play with the skewer tightened up (both 4mm bolt on and the OEM QR skewer). Descending at 70kph, the rear wheel felt super wobbly and unstable. We're talking nearly 2 inches of side play

I've since loosened the grub screw, tightened up the bearing preload with the finger tightening adjuster and retightened the grub screw... But I can still pull the rim side to side going back and forth to each brake pad (1"of play..)

Has anyone else had to adjust this on their new rims? I've put 850km on them since May 1st and it feels kind of **** after spending $2k on my first ever brand new wheelset
That's quite obviously not an issue with the rim. If there's play in the wheel, it's a hub issue. Carbon-Ti hubs are top tier as far as I know, so I'd say take it to a shop or get in contact with carbon Ti.

Just to be clear, we're talking "play" and not "flex" right? Those are two very, very different things.