Old 05-11-21, 04:43 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Liked 97 Times in 59 Posts
The only difference that I'm seeing in my area (Illinois/Wisconsin) is more flexibility on the checkpoints. Instead of needing to get a card signed or get a receipt (necessitating interacting with staff at convenience stores), a timestamped photo is often accepted. Also, electronic waivers instead of signing paperwork in person the morning of the ride.

I did my first brevet in 2017. Previously I had done many organized group rides. Biggest difference for me was time limits. I'm on the slower end of the spectrum so have been in the position due to flats, horrid headwinds, etc. of having to really push to make a time cutoff. I find that stressful. Acquaintances that are much faster talk about stopping and having lunch/dinner at restaurants. That has never been an option for me.

ETA: I did one brevet in 2000 in Tennessee just before everything shutdown. It ended up being a ride of one since everyone else backed out. The control point at the turnaround (a distillery) was closed due to the pandemic so the RBA just had me take a timestamped picture to prove I really had done the whole route.

I haven't decided if I will do any brevets this year. I need to build my mileage back up. I did ride 100 miles 2 weeks ago and was wiped out. Quite a change from 2019 when I did over 5000K worth of brevets and permanents.

Last edited by GadgetGirlIL; 05-11-21 at 04:47 AM.
Likes For GadgetGirlIL: