View Single Post
Old 05-12-21, 12:26 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,338 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
To be honest I'm not a fan of Hogg as he has posted some ridiculous things on crank length.
Anyway, If the OP's saddle was too high I would expect to see a straight knee at the bottom of the stroke. I'm looking at the bend in his knee at the bottom and I want to see it straightened out a little.
I really think that the cranks are too long on this bike and sorting out any leg discrepancies is key here as well.
Just because Hogg has some things you don't agree with, doesn't mean everything he says doesn't have merit. Hogg isn't the only one who holds these views, I quoted others as well, it is just that Hogg has two really good articles on how to set seat height so that you can pedal fluidly through the entire pedal stroke, and prevent injuries, and be more stable on the bike.

You do not need a straight leg to have a too high seat height, in fact, that is what is wrong with many people's idea of seat height today, they think the leg should be basically straight. You need some bend. You also aren't taking into account differing flexibility level between riders.

In the OP's case, it is fairly obvious, he is dropping off the saddle to one side, and he is pedaling toes down, so he is reaching for the pedal. I guarantee he is not pedaling smoothly throughout the pedaling stoke, but instead, loses power at the bottom of each stroke.