View Single Post
Old 05-13-21, 10:37 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
The Takara, being a 12-spd, doesn't sound like a touring bicycle. 12spd cogs are thin and delicate.
Nope, it'll have nice thick, chunky cogs; it's a 2x6 bike.

OP, at the end of the day touring isn't exactly the cheapest endeavor out there, it can be done cheap, I know, I've done it. Rode across Cyprus, Greece, Italy, and some of France on a similar vintage similar spec Giant about 20 years ago using a cheap tent, a cheap sleeping bag and eating what I could afford. The biggest hurdle to the fullest enjoyment of the whole experience was the bike which just wasn't designed for it. Problem is, touring bikes themselves aren't cheap, typically 1200.00 to start for a decent one new, and about what that REI Novara would have been. Although the price isn't ideal, if you can swing it or find something just like it, you'll have a much more enjoyable time. I still use a cheap, heavy tent and a cheap sleeping bag, but the bike is world's better, the air mattress was a huge improvement and a lot of other things have been improved and lightened making the experience much more enjoyable in the process. I'm hoping to get a new, lighter tent but either way the tours are nicer on a purpose built bike.
Likes For Russ Roth: