View Single Post
Old 05-26-21, 03:41 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 657 Posts
Small West Coast Custom Builder

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
That looks like an early Henry James investment cast bottom bracket shell. That was the 1st IC piece Hank had made for his HJ brand. The prugnat lugs means it was probably built around the time between when Hank had BB shells made and before he started doing his investment cast lugs. That would be around 1980 (+ -).

The HJ shell also means it was probably made by an American builder too. They would have been pricey for a production builder. The personal touch on the seat binder bolt also looks one-off or how the builder decided to do them. There were a number of west coast builders that made a few and then faded away to make more money somewhere else. Hopefully someone will recognize the distinction way the serial # was done under the BB shell.
I agree this frame was probably made by a small US custom builder.

I liked those Prugnat Type 62D lugs, built some frames with them in the mid 70's but they were a lot of work to clean up. That was before investment cast lugs were readily available.

These appear to have been tumbled to remove the scale.

The fender eyelets added to the Campy 1010B dropouts are poorly placed.

I just sold my 1984 Holdsworth Classic 753. It had Campy 1010B dropouts with forged in eyelets. Never saw these before - more undocumented Campy stuff!

I scraped the paint off on the back sides and they're part of the forgings not added on. Holdsworth was Campy's importer/distributor for the UK and could have had a batch of these dropouts specially made for them - it rains a lot in the UK!

The number on the bottom bracket shell appears to pantographed into a separate piece of steel that's been brazed on? Or maybe it's the angles???

The powder coat has all the signs that it was a "respray".

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg: