View Single Post
Old 05-30-21, 07:17 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
I haven’t done it with 10 speed, but I’ve run Campag shifters and derailleurs with Shimano 8 and 11 speed cassettes with no problem. I set my indexing based on the middle cogs (so 4/5 for 8spd, 6 for 11, and presumably 5/6 for 10), and then set the limiting screws at either end. The difference in cassette width between Shimano and Campag 10 is 1.6mm, so if you “split the difference” this way, the chainline is within 0.8mm of the cogs.

No guarantee it’ll work to your level of satisfaction, but I’d give it a go before spending on a shiftmate or replacement free hub body etc.
11-speed Shimano and Campy cassettes have the same spacing, so they will work together no problem; and as you've done with the 8 speed, there's enough margin of error that it will work.

But I do not think this is the case with 10 speed, and you won't get nice shifting. The cassette spacing is not the same, and the margin of error is too small. You can probably make it rideable in some gears, but certainly not all. If you have a high tolerance for imperfection, maybe that's not such a big deal .
Likes For ridelikeaturtle: