View Single Post
Old 06-08-21, 03:59 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by j_e_r_e_m_y
The reach on the new dual pivot Tektros was actually close the same as the old dia-compes - about 47-57mm for each. It seems like there's just more material to the Tektros, especially around the mounting bolt, leaving less clearance room if that makes sense. And agreed, I much prefer the performance of modern dual-pivots, but it looks like I'm stuck with the old single pivots unless I size down from 27" wheels to 700c. Don't really want to do that as I already sprung for new 27" gatorskins the other day.
you're not stuck with the old single pivots. i'm telling you this because i know what you're dealing with. seriously. let me get the model number on the tektros for my wife's bike. i have the same 539's you've abandoned for use and switched them out, also, for the same reason. these i'm telling you about have "less material", as you say, wherein there's better tire clearance under the brake arches adjacent to the mounting bolt.