cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2442 Post(s)
Liked 4,457 Times in 2,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Actually I am not trolling. When using this hammer technique you can detect very well when the race is seated and hence when common sense says that no more force is necessary.
Absolutely true. Though some may freak at the idea of a hammer taken to a crown race, it's completely possible to do it correctly without damage, given a careful eye, steady hand, and a properly faced fork with the correct race diameter on it, which is the key to making any crown race seat easy.

Still, I love my piece of rusty Reynolds 531 that I use to bang them in with. Fits and works perfectly, every time

Originally Posted by Road Fan
cudak888 , Yes, I've gotten past being upset with the painter/builder - some of the problem is with the bike owner as well. He asked be to be in charge and dismantle/remantle, and direct the builder, but when he wanted to know the status he went to the builder not to me, and then would not pass on what the builder told him or what he told the builder. Finally two frames surprised me by arriving at my house - no mutual agreement they are in fact prepared, nor a list of what the builder actually did.

So overall I'm trying to see my own way through this part of the build and deal with the new parts of the problem. I need to verify the face alignments before installing parts. I'm still not convinced I should not buy a pair of short-stack Tange steel headsets and be done with it. Tomorrow I'm going to agaijn canvas the remaining LBSs and this time record who has a good capability in frame preparation. In some of them there is still a person whose capabilities I respect.
A bad situation, undoubtedly. All the more reason to tread carefully though and get it done right within a reasonable budget. Just remember that idiots quickly become finger-pointers when they pfluck up, because refusing to own up to their stupidity is how they protect themselves.

-Kurt