Old 07-11-21, 09:19 PM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Bike damaged in auto accident, which insurance to claim?

My bike got rare-ended while on my car.

The other driver’s insurance offered a “depreciated” value of my bike. The bike is quite a few years old but top of line racing machine for its time. So still perfectly functional (and for many years to come). The offer wasn’t even close to being able to replace the bike with anything like it.

My home owner’s insurance, on the other hand, has “replacement value” rider on it. (I’ve had to use it once, on a flood damage, I got a few new items as replacements). So my questions:

1) Since my home owner’s policy would pay full replacement value, would it be better filing my claim to my own policyr instead of dealing with the other driver’s insurance company?

2) Does home owner insurance covers contents in a car accident? I read some of the old threads here, it sounds like home owner insurance typically does cover theft of stuff in (or on, in this case) the car. But what about damage from collision by another car? Does anyone have experience in filing a claim on their home owners policy for damage to their bike when it’s damaged in an accident by a car?