View Single Post
Old 07-12-21, 12:52 PM
klucabike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride an upright trike and love it

I'm 69 and also have balance and weight issues because of a head-on collision. I bought a Miami Sun trike several years ago and then changed out the front wheel with a Hilltopper 24v hub and 24v lithium battery. I pulse the battery going up inclines but mostly try to pedal as much as possible, so my battery lasts a good long while between charges (about 25 miles on a "12-mile battery," ha!). I love the Sun trike because it is the best made and sturdiest of the adult trikes I tried. I also love the huge saddle for my big butt!

I only ride on paved bike paths or roads (fairly untrafficked roads, and if canted, as close to the center as possible). I'm on my fourth battery (currently a 36v "universal" battery). I can go 25mph if I want to, but who needs to? I'm into cycling with my husband for pleasure and exercise. It took me no time at all to get used to leaning differently. I've only had one spill on my trike, which was preventable because I wasn't paying attention, and that was not fun, so I'm pretty cautious about speeds and turns. I definitely wear a helmet and ride with a detachable mirror to keep an eye on what's coming behind me. Also have a bell to let riders in front of me know I'm coming.

I am SO grateful for this trike! I wish I could trust airless tires so I can go on gravel paths, but I'm not confident they would be good for a heavy trike like this. I could be wrong, though. Would be interested in knowing if they would work well.

Last edited by klucabike; 07-12-21 at 03:17 PM.