guelphite
Prince of the Royal City

Bikes: Marinoni, Bianchi, Peugeot, Raleigh, CCM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Last comment on tire widths

Yesterday I proved my point on tire widths.
Took a ride north of the city on my Marinoni Touring bike and proved my point on tire widths taking more energy to ride due to wider tires.
When I mentioned this before, I stated that it was the laws of physics. I think Bill Nye the Science Guy was right. Society's pendulum is in science denial.
I forgot to mention my 60 years of cycling experience.
I do not care if someone rides a wider tire, I mean, each tire has its use.
If you're going cross country, touring, and mountain biking, yep, you need one.
My touring bike tires was pumped up more than my Miyata and old Cannondale T700 and still had to peddle harder.
Mind you, having all that pressure, I felt every stone on the back roads.
Funny, when I got my touring bike in 2004, a lot of people laughed at me and told me to get a mountain bike due to the wider tires. I was and still use 28 mm due to the poor roads.
The space ships that pass me on the paved roads have either 23 or 25 mm again, it's their choice and not a comment about the rider.
Anyways, I had a harder workout on the touring bike (Columbus SP tubing) and is 9 lbs heavier than my own old space ship.
I do have a friend who rides a 40 mm and good for him, he rides all kinds of terrain and he's a lot younger but good for him..
Happy Trails everyone!

Originally Posted by guelphite
Just to let you all know that I sold my 1986 Miyata 1000.

Weird though, even though this bike is an engineered classic, I’ve had young people asking for wider tires than 32mm, smaller front cranks and larger freewheel.
I tried to explain the wider the tire, the increased road resistance. The young man told me that it “was my opinion”. Not opinion but physics.
He started adding up the cost to update the upgrades and I advised him to get a ‘modern’ bike.
Modern isn’t necessarily better.
Anyways good talking to you all.
Happy Trails.