Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Terms "low" and "high" are subjective enough to where comparisons are hard to make. I've found that high trail and/or high wheel flop increases 'self steer', the tendency for a bike to want to keep steering into the turn without user input. Most "road bikes" are in the 55-65mm range for trail (though anyone could argue a different range depending on how you define the "road bike" segment). Gravel bikes and bikes designed for looser surfaces often have slightly more trail, maybe 70-80mm (dual sport hybrids often fall into this range). Mountain bikes often have trail even higher than this. I once had a Giant ARX that had about 100mm of trail. It drove so strangely that I returned it. I just didn't like how it rode. My lowest trail bike is a 1970 Peugeot mixte. It has a pretty steep head tube angle (something like 73 degrees) and a fork with a very high offset (something like 55-60mm). So the trail is somewhere in the 40s. That's one of my more fun bikes to ride. Not from a speed perspective, but from a more fundamental "this bike is enjoyable to drive" perspective. My Trek MultiTrack 750 has something like 65mm of trail and it's also very enjoyable to ride.
Can absolutely agree with you on trail being very subjective.... not to contradict what i just said, as this helps to put handling metrics into perspective... but wouldn't a trail of around 65mm seem normal for a gravel bike as well? I see plenty of gravel bikes with a very similar angles to the trek fx - 72.5° head angle and roughly 45mm of fork offset.

Do you think that changing out to a chromoly or carbon fork with about 50mm of offset would be a worthwhile decision? My current fork is aluminum, nothing wrong with it.. just thinking I might prefer something better with road buzz. I've heard stories of carbon forks cracking though.