Old 07-28-21, 12:09 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
I use KMC, SRAM and Shimano HG53 chains, all affordable, not high end. Can't say I notice any difference in performance or durability. I replace 'em about once a year, or every few thousand miles. I don't use a wear gauge or measure them precisely, but after about a year I'll remove the chain and hang it next to a next chain to eyeball the "stretch" from wear. If it's more than a smidge longer than new I'll replace it. I don't think I've ever ridden a chain so long that it caused problems with shifting, etc.

Somewhere around here I have a Dura Ace 10-speed chain, waiting for me to finish putting together a basic TT/tri-bike. We'll see whether it makes any difference.

It's tempting to replace chains more often, because nothing feels or sounds like a brand new chain. It literally feels and sounds like nothing -- silent and smooth. But, nah, too pricey. And I can't say that new chain feel consistently translates to improved performance. The few times a new chain seems to be "faster," I attribute that to enthusiasm over the new chain. IOW, placebo effect.