Old 08-03-21, 07:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18517 Post(s)
Liked 15,841 Times in 7,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I'd ride that!
14 miles through the Bitterroot range of the Rockies. East to west you start out going through a 1.66 mile, unlit tunnel that crosses the border from MT into ID. Had a 500 lumen light and wished for 750 lumen. Then it's all down hill. Several high trestles and numerous more tunnels, though short ones. There is a shuttle that brings you back to the west portal of the long tunnel, so you have to ride through it again to get back to your car. However, the old right-of-way is actually rideable for longer. From the eastern trailhead heading east it's know as the Olympian Trail. From the western trailhead you can ride the right-of-way west down to Avery ID and further west on what is called the Milwaukee Road Trail.

I camped east of Avery, went into town, rode the former right-of-way up to the west trailhead (it has its own tunnels), did the Hiawatha to the east trailhead then connected to something called the NorPac Trail. That took me back into ID at Lookout Pass. Descended 7 miles on I-90 to Mullan and picked up the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes (paved) to Wallace, ID for the night. Idaho into Montana and back into Idaho all in one day.

There is actually a loop you can do that incorporates the Milwaukee Road, CdA, Hiawatha and NorPac trails (some road riding required):

Bitterroot 300K Loop | Friends of the Coeur d'Alene Trails (friendsofcdatrails.org)
Likes For indyfabz: