Old 08-09-21, 08:07 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The problem is that either you or the wheel builder is interpreting the problem wrong. Straight gauge spokes are weaker than butted spokes. But thicker straight gauge spokes are stronger than thinner straight gauge spokes. Perhaps the wheel builder doesn’t want to run the spokes up to the tension that a gauge says they should be so they end up being under lower tension and would likely break. But just using 14 gauge spokes doesn’t make for “the strongest wheels” possible. Triple butted spokes make for “the strongest wheels”. Using a double butted spoke would be the next best thing and using a 2.3mm spoke would be a good third place. Using a 2.0mm straight spoke would break its leg in th gate and is on the way to the glue factory. In other words, not the best choice.

Go read that article I linked to. Ric Hjertberg is a master wheel builder and founder of Wheelsmith.
I am terrible explaining what I mean. Heavier gage spokes can be stronger yes but they are hard to tension properly hard on the rims. So using 14 gauge spokes will make a stronger wheel because they can be tensioned right. Of course double butted or triple butted spokes are the strongest thats what I have on my wheels. But what all the wheels smiths I have talked to have said is heavier gauge spokes aren to needed for a strong wheel.