View Single Post
Old 08-09-21, 10:34 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 657 Posts
Mercier Frame

T-Mar I've been messing with French bikes for almost 50 years and I don't recall seeing many if any that had imperial inch size tubing.... But is it wrong or just French?

My 1974 Gitane Tour de France came from Australia and has a British BB and headset!

My French bikes from the 80's all have metric tubing but from about 1984-85 on most of them have British threads.

Here's my early 80's Mercier with a Columbus SL frame. The threads are BSC.

Gitane started using these Vitus forged dropouts on their better models as far back as 1982 so that can help dating Jicafold bike.

Judging from the components, it looks like maybe it's a kludged together co-op bike.

The original Columbus Aelle tubing from 1978 through the mid 80's was straight gauge with 0.8mm wall thickness main tubes. A 26.2mm or 26.4mm would be the standard seatpost diameter.

During the late 70's, early 80's most of the French makers also used various flavors of Durifort and Vitus tubing on mid range bikes. They also took 26.2mm seatposts.

I've never seen a headset like the one on the OP's bike? It's looks "inexpensive" and maybe a replacement??? Also LG dropouts.

Don't recall ever seeing a rider with his arms up decal on a Mercier either.

All in all, it should be a nice rider.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 08-10-21 at 04:06 AM.