View Single Post
Old 08-10-21, 04:55 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Some people refer to it as an oil bath, but it is more of a rinse, not an oil bath.

Your motorcycles had more energy available from the engine to rotate the components against friction from the seals than on the Rohloff hub where there is not a great amount of excess power to fight seal friction, so the seals are rather leaky. (The seals however are more leaky on my vintage Triumph motorcycles,)

You do not pour the oil in, you use a syringe to inject it, the oil fill hole is plugged with an M5 screw.

Think of the most expensive cooking oil that a chef might use for an expensive dish, Rohloff oil probably costs more on a volume basis.

I bought the 250 ml bottles from Germany. Even with the shipping cost it was much cheaper than 25ml bottles each year in USA.
https://www.bike24.com/p2406748.html
that explains it, I thought all the internals were immersed in oil, so why 25ml didn't make sense.
You could see how every so often, doing the "clean" or whatever with a different liquid could be good to remove any particles or buildup of stuff.
Didn't one of you mention this?
I've always read of how rohlofs quieten down after a certain number of kilometres, so it would stand to reason that there are teeny amounts of worn off material in there.