Old 08-12-21, 02:15 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Liked 1,571 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I did TABR (cross country bike race) and my CTL was off the charts at the end. I did not lose weight although I might have put some muscle on. When I returned, I destroyed as in obliterated all of my climbing PBs locally and I was very fit going into the ride. N = 1 of course.

What is often not recognized is increasing CTL usually occurs with increasing FTP, so, you have to work harder to keep the same CTL.

I do not personally think focus on CTL as a training metric makes sense. I see ATL and CTL as a way to keep from going overboard and developing fatigue.

Did you read the blog post that I linked?
Yeah, that’s where my inquiry came from.

CTL keeps us honest, but it just seems a forefront of the TP dashboards. You can customize it a bit, but without a different platform I just feel like the whole thing bombards me with “ctl, atl trend, weekly TSS”.

Like I wish I could track CTL and ATL by separate zones or combination of zones. That probably makes no sense to most, but in my feeble brain it does when I say it.

Like you could ramp up your z4 threshold ctl. Or ramp your z6 ctl to race crits.

After life settles in seasonally realistically my ctl and atl don’t tell me much. More of the same. But dipping into event specific work may change.

It really only helped with tapering for an A+ race kind of deal.

As far as ctl staying same and ftp rising, I track Kj’s per week as a TP chart. That way I can see some kind of progression.