View Single Post
Old 08-13-21, 10:13 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 699 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Interesting. I wasn’t aware of the Phantom 5 issues you experienced, and have no familiarity with it’s smart bike functionality. I have been riding CycleOps bikes at a cycling training studio for 11 years, and have used the 300 PT, 300 Pro, and Phantom 3 models for coached, power-based training, which is the basis for my insight and why I described those bikes as being in-between basic stationaries/“dumb” trainers and smart trainers.

Just using the native functionality, those bikes are extremely reliable. We’ve got about 12 of them which have gotten pounded by hundreds of riders for thousands of hours, and even the 300 PTs, which I’m sure are close to 20 years old, are still running. They’ve been maintained, of course, and there have been failures of things like clamp levers and head unit brackets, so I don’t want to paint a picture of perfection, but that’s also in a commercial use setting.

To the extent the Phantom 5 is different, I don’t know; I had thought it could be operated manually as previous and lower-line models, but it sounds like you’re saying there may be problems even in doing that, which is good to know.
I am with you they are built like a Tank and if you want an Exercise bike that measures power you can't do any better in the used market, makes an original Peloton look like a toy. The Smart version ended up in a technological dead-end however was leading edge when it came out.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged: