Old 08-15-21, 11:37 AM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
I started lifting at 45 for the first time in my life and it became religion. I went 3-5 days a week for 5+ years straight until COVID happened. I got dumbells soon after but for me, lifting at home is not the same. When I put my headphones on and get into the zone at a gym with no distractions for an hour, I just can’t replicate that at home. I lost a lot of bulk, but I rediscovered cycling!! So I’m always going to be grateful for the pandemic making me find another form of fitness.

Gains are slow coming and at this age even slower. But they do come. It’s also hard to see in yourself so it’s good to take some pics to document your progress. I’m 6’2 and was always skinny. Until my 30’s I was still like 175 pounds wet. Then age, marriage, kids, beer and I was a typical dad-bod, mainly thin, but with a 6-7 month old baby in my belly 😂

At my peak I could bench 4 plates (225#) max which is what I would see the big guys doing even though I never considered myself big. After almost a year out of the gym my chest lost the most strength. I used to do curls with 35# bells but am doing 25 now, I can still curl 35 but am working my way back. I am about 1 month back at the gym so it will take some time and with cycling in the mix, I don’t need to be as built as I was anyhow so my goals are more to kind of keep what I have.

Anyhow here’s my weekly gym routine. And it all comes down to your goals. I never in my life though I would be thick but as a 50 year old I had probably the best body in my life. I wanted to look strong so gains was my goal. Now I think with a year of cycling and losing 15 pounds (best diet ever!) I look like a fit slim guy at 185#

Each group is 1x per week only for gains. For tone use less weight, more reps and you can do it a few times a week. And I have had the list below in my notes app the whole time and I look at it every time and make changes or edits now and then.

Arms
barbell preacher curls, 3 sets 80 pounds 10 reps (if I use 90 pounds I lower reps to 6-8)
dumbbell curls, 3 sets, 35 pounds 10 reps (if I do 40 pound I lower reps to 6-8)
dips, 4 sets, 20, 15, 15, 15
cable pull downs, 3 sets, 10 reps
cable curls, 3 sets, 10 reps
overhead tricep dumbbell lifts, 3 sets, 65 pounds, 10 reps
crush grip goblet squats, 3 sets 65/70 pound dumbbell, 10 reps

Back / Shoulders
pull up, 3 sets 5 reps (slow and steady to warm up)
tripod row, 3 sets 80-
100 pound, 10 reps
dumbbell pullover, 3 sets of 10
cable row, wide grip / close grip (alternating on weeks) 3 sets, 10 reps
lat pull downs, 3 sets of 10
side lateral raise, 3 sets of 10
dumbbell front raise, 3 sets of 10
Arnold press (alternating seated or standing per week) 3 sets of 10

Chest
bench press, 3 sets, 1st set 20 reps (135 pounds warmup), increase to 185 pounds 3 sets 6-8 reps
incline press, 3 sets, 155 pounds, 10 reps
decline press, 3 sets, 185 pounds, 10 reps
dumbbell press, 3 sets, 65 pound dumbbells, 10 reps
cable crossover low, 3 sets, 10 reps
cable crossover middle, 3 sets, 10 reps
cable crossover high, 3 sets, 10 reps

Last edited by LibertyFLS; 08-15-21 at 11:45 AM.