Old 08-16-21, 07:40 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Liked 1,571 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Well TR is trying to do such a thing with their progression levels (and also using these as a way to scale what workouts are assigned to the user that are within their particular level). My sweet spot is high because I did a series of sweet spot workouts this past week, and this week I'll be doing the CX specialty plan so my VO2 and Anaerobic levels should be going out as I do more workouts in those areas.

I'll admit, I "feel" stronger with higher CTL, but that's usually when I have done some combo of lots of endurance and sweet spot, so it's only one kind of "fitness" (as we know ctl often gets called fitness but it's a misnomer since it's really a training load measurement). But it wouldn't be the type of fitness I'd need to race CX. So my CTL will be lower for CX season but I'll be doing more of vo2 and anaerobic to be race fit.
That has my attention.

My sweetspot and threshold with sprinklings of VO2 have been very high for a while given it's how I do "more" given a short schedule and that TT was my target race for 2021 (with a win).

Anaerobic and sprint pretty much totally neglected say for a random weeknight worlds dig.

I know I need some form for the cross races and will lose some with skills practice sessions weekly having a low training stimulus but big impact on racing. Which is fine. As that leads to training specific to trying to win. Otherwise, I'm still finding "more is more" is leading to PR's in most any power time period longer than 2min recently.

Shrug?

Only thing is I think I'm on low enough weekly hours I an afford to have more % spent on harder work. Once your hours get way on up, you simply can't ride at sweetspot ALL the freaking time. You have to go to more of an 80/20 style I guess, just guessing that's why.