View Single Post
Old 08-27-21, 09:55 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6294 Post(s)
Liked 4,331 Times in 2,427 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Earlier this summer there was a huge one in the middle of the road during a day ride in S. Jersey. A motorist stopped along with me. I picked it up from behind. The thing went nuts. It was so damn strong I let it go. Then a county maintenance worker pulled his bucket loader over. He got a large piece of tree branch and started pushing the thing out of the road. My God! What a fight. It was thrashing around like a damn alligator. The motorist was worried that they guy might hurt it. He said "You can't these things." He finally got it into the grass after a couple of minutes.

I like helping animals, but I also like my fingers. I will never try to pick up a grown snapper again.
I’ve wrangled several snappers…including babies like the one Rdmonster69 handled. Yes, they are incredibly strong and will thrash about. They also pee prodigious amounts in defense. A thrashing 30+lb turtle that you have to hold away from your body can be a handful. Just don’t pick them very far off the ground and move them quickly.

They also stink. Even the babies smell like the bottom of a pond.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: