Thread: Colnago ID ?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-21, 09:52 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
Sorry 1 Lugnut, I meant the chainstay bridge like the one in this photo:

(Thanks Steel-Vintage.com)

This particular example has chainstay crimps but earlier examples sometimes didn't have crimps.

By the way 1 Lugnut, your Super looks great and I think the Flite saddle and what looks like an old Elite bottle cage are nice touches. I'd guess your frame to be early 80's, say 1983/4. I'll put my money on 1984. I like the curved front fork blades with the sloping fork crown but this fork seems to have been introduced in 1983 with the Nuovo Mexico model which might help to date your frame. It's not a very exact science dating Colnago frames. I once bought a new 1991 Colnago frame and was offered either a straight bladed front fork or a curved bladed front fork. Who know what the provenance of many frames actually is?

I'd suggest that your frame is a re-paint and a mid 70's decal set has been used to finish it off. Cyclemondo sells this decal set. The Columbus decal comes with this set and was used in the 70's. By the way, I don't want to suggest that a re-finished frame is not appropriate - sometimes a re-paint is very necessary.

And.....is that a 1995 (approx) Campy Record Groupset? Topped off with Cinelli bars (guessing Campione del Mondo) and a Cinelli 1R stem - lovely. Must be a very nice bike to ride! A bike I would be proud to own. I do own a very similar mid 80's Colnago and I love it.

Do you know the build date of your Colnago Super? Was I close with my estimation?
Thx Gary,

I have those bottle cages on all my bikes. Performance Bikes carried them. Made in France IIRC?

As you mentioned, the bike was refinished & that might be a replacement fork…dunno?
The seller is from the Santa Cruz, Ca area & that is what he does…restores classic bikes.
1945ford is the sellers eBay handle

I usually prefer a chrome crown, but not the case here. It was a gift from my friend & although I’m not keen the red color, I can’t complain….

When I first got the bike, I posed the question here & the response was ‘early 80’s Super.’ Then, all the variables starting filtering in as to whether it was, a Super, a Mexico, or even…a Nuevo Mexico?
I’m content believing it’s a ‘83 or ‘84 Super with the final details you’ve given me…thx much 😉
Have not delved into Colnago’s serial #’s…yet.

Bar & Stem ~ Cinelli Cham Del Mondo - 1R stem. Brake Calipers are Campy Chorus
C-Record Cmpnts: Crankset (53X39), Carbon Ergos, Derailleurs,Seatpost, Hdset, BB & Hubs.
Rims; FIR Sirius (32H), Veloflex Crit tubulars. Ti 12-26 cogs.

Bike is fairly light & am I to understand that the Columbus tubing was thinner and lighter early on than the next to come …SL tubing ?

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 09-02-21 at 06:10 PM.
Likes For 1 Lugnut: