Old 09-02-21, 08:37 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
SapInMyBlood’s post has the same elements that mine has. He is saying that riding with a hydration pack leads to more pressure on your hands, lower back, and sit bones. Isn’t that telling me that I’m doing something wrong? I’ve never experienced any of that and I’ve been using hydration packs for tours since at least 2003. The only reason that I haven’t used them longer is that they weren’t invented during my early years of touring. (I took a break in loaded touring from 1985 to 2003). I can’t speak for other people, but I’ve never seen a post here making the arguments that SapInMyBlood has presented. The only complaints I’ve ever seen related to sweat and, perhaps, sore shoulders.

I’m not new to touring. I’ve done around 10,000 miles while touring and never had a problem riding lightly in the saddle even after a very long day. On my most recent touring (July 2021), I even did several days over 70 miles (and at least one 90+ mile day). My hands hurt from the bars. My lower back had zero problems. My sit bones never hurt through 24 long days.

It’s actually a bit higher as I carry tools in the bag. But it isn’t “static weight” which is my point. Water carried on the bike is static. The weight I carry on my body is sprung by my legs and arms. One of the reasons mountain bikers use hydration packs is because they are convenient and encourage drinking because of that convenience. Tourists can benefit as well.
I'm not arguing against your personal experience. I think it's valid and worthwhile relating. But there's a difference between that and suggesting one "ought" to feel or act a certain way. No back issues - great. No saddle issues - awesome. It's good you feel that way but the hundreds and hundreds of posts relating problems in that area suggests other people may have different results. Like SIB I have done rides in excess of 200km and 10-12 hours in the saddle and don't want weight on my back for the same reasons. I have been bagged in the saddle many many times and have seen other tourers plodding along in positions I would not call "lively". I'm not saying your experience is wrong, just that others aren't wrong either. As he says: It's not what will happen (YMMV) but what could potentially happen. I agree with that sentiment. If it does happen it doesn't mean one is riding "wrong".

But the weight on your back is static. If it were in bottles on the bike it would be static to the bike. If it's on your back it's static to you. Your arms and legs are shock absorbers which makes it dynamic to the bike.
Likes For Happy Feet: