Thread: Colnago ID ?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-21, 09:46 AM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
Yes, probably SL tubing - which is REALLY nice. Some say that they have cracked the Colnago serial number code but I've never looked into it myself. As far as I'm concerned, the Colnago serial numbers have no real logical sequence - but I may be wrong. I'm with you - I would be satisfied with a 'Super' diagnosis. If it does turn out to be a Mexico, all the betted. I would guess that the front fork is original. With my Colnago's, I have settled on build dates that are approximates and I am content with that although many years ago that would have concerned me. Thanks for your component rundown - it is a well put together bike.

As for the weight, my 1982 58 x 57cm Colnago Super/Mexico (probably SL) is quite light at 21 1/2 lbs built up with mostly Campy Super Record. It's one of my lightest bikes. I have found that Colnago's are generally a little heavier than some other brands but lighter than others - some where in the middle which suits me. I just love the Colnago geometry as it really suits me and my riding style - I think I have average body proportions.

Your Superissimo was/is spectacular - what a great bike. I can relate to your feelings of loss and regret.
Ha…

Looking back at previous posts of mine, I noticed that it was not you that has the similar Supperissimo, but SJX426 member. Sorry for the wrong X-reference!

The Campy cmpnts on this Super of mine came off of a 90’s Cinelli Corsa I had. Somehow, a guy in Toronto, Canada saw it on the forum here & coaxed me into selling it (frame) to him. I relented & off it went. It was 59cm c-c & I actually prefer riding a bit smaller frame now...

The 90’s Cinelli SC’s were actually made by Giovanni Losa. I found this out because, I now have a couple of Swiss Titan bikes that were also made in Italy by G Losa, who does framebuilding for other hi-end bike companies in Italy.
These 2 Titans are currently my favorite rides…!

The blue Titan is 56 cm & the smokey colored one is 57 cm. Weighs 20.5 lbs
Don't ask me what years these Titans were made...lol. My only guess is from the late 80's as they were leftover warehouse stock that wound up on eBay. Some sold for a song. Both came w/o forks which I happen to have from past ventures. I needed to have the gray bike's fork chromed.

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 09-02-21 at 04:19 PM. Reason: ...add pics