View Single Post
Old 09-03-21, 08:04 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 2,978 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
yeah, if the sidewall isn't badly cut, and the hole is small, most anything can work as a boot...

For keeping a tube from being cut by the rim valve hole (usually not needed on sewups), I cut a piece of old tube into about 1 inch square... then cut a small hole in center - put over the valve stem before inserting into rim... never a cut from the rim valve hole since starting to uses clinchers in '89...
also, stop using that stoopid little round threaded stem collar on outside of valve (also scrap the plastic cover) - not needed when running tubes (needed for tubeless). In fact losing the collar will keep the tube from being pulled too far into the rim value hole...
I actually used to use 2 of those nuts, one inside the rim and the other outside to clamp the valve in place so that I wouldn't push it in when I pushed my silca chuck on, but so that I also wouldn't pull it out too far and cut the tube. Somewhere along the line, I stopped. I think I had valves that were so short for the rim depth that I couldn't get the chuck to hold on if I had either nut on. I still usually leave the outer one on, but sometimes I lose it and life goes on.