I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,574 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Inisfallen
I'm not so quick to say it's ignorant. I ride in lanes just like that (but in far heavier traffic) and it seems to work pretty well. Not perfectly, of course, but it seems like a pretty good way to share the limited road space available here in NYC.

Pretty much this. Vismund B lives in Queens, I live in Brooklyn, both boroughs of New York City, so it's the same system, the same Department of Transportation, for both of us. V_B is right that, for the most part, people don't park in the bike lanes, but they will stop there to take on or discharge passengers or cargo. It's annoying.
It doesn't seem that the bike lane-parking situation where you live is anything like the confusing and counterintuitive layout in Dayton.
I take it from the posts here that parking meters in Brooklyn and Queens (or anywhere else) are NOT lined up along the curb and assigned to each legitimate parking spot located on the other side of a bike lane and a no traffic separation lane, as apparently is the case in the Dayton.

It is the presence of the multiple parking meters lined up along the curb for each parking space that makes the Dayton layout a losing proposition for all concerned.