Old 09-03-21, 06:19 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Not sure I see anything in the list that will handle snow.

Why not start with the snow--the most "demanding" requirement--and work backwards? I'm on my seventh fat bike, a carbon Mukluk frameset that I built up. I rode it for the first two times last night and the night before. It's a rocket with 26"X4" tires, every bit as fast as my Kona Rove NRB gravel bike, which I love. With a 29er or 27.5" wheelset it would be remarkable. I'll be riding it this winter in the Arrowhead Ultra with 5" tires. My point is, with a second wheelset, the Muk, which is designed to do what those others can't do, can be about as fast and capable in every other area. As for expense, I took the parts and wheelset from a 9:zero:7 Aluminum Whiteout that I bought for $900. When I bought the Muk frameset for another $900, I sold the Whiteout frameset for $500, so I have $1300 in it. Add another good wheelset for $500 and you've cut $1200 off your ceiling. By the way, I love the Cedearo framebag on my Salsa El Mariachi.