View Single Post
Old 09-09-21, 07:31 AM
therunt

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Allez comp, 2011 Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looking to possibly purchase a Trek Sport 5 today, but I have some questions about the all carbon frame and how well it can handle weight. I am currently ~300 lbs, and while I am back on track with my eating and workout habits and anticipate shedding poundage, I was wondering if I could hear some opinions about the durability of an all carbon frame and its ability to hold up against my current weight. I've ridden a 2011 Specialized Allez with an aluminum frame and carbon forks for years now with no issues even while weighing in as much as 320 lbs. I'm in love with the esthetics of the new FX bikes and have been really feeling the itch to pull the trigger on the XL model at my local shop, but I would love to hear some anecdotal opinions on this before I make the purchase.

P.S. I'm donating my old bikes to a local not for profit and planning on buying the bike today, unless someone here can convince me that riding an all carbon frame at my weight will surely send me to the ICU

P.S.S. I'd also be curious to know opinions on the stock rims/spokes that come with this model. I know often times companies will skimp on the stock rims/spokes because many serious riders will customize their set up, and I eventually will too as I have had rear wheels built for all of my bikes. But I'm hoping to get at least a few months of riding in on the stock wheels before I have my local shop build me a set.

Last edited by therunt; 09-09-21 at 07:39 AM.