View Single Post
Old 09-12-21, 03:17 PM
Mr. 66

Liked 2,003 Times in 1,073 Posts
So far mostly peaceful disassemblely.

The front brake caliper's pivot bolt was bent severely, and the adjuster arm has some wonk. I've addressed the bolt, the arm will wait. The rear derailleur came off just fine, the front derailleur was a different story. The fd was completely encrusted at the hinge, but only on the body not the clamp.

That needed a pry to open.

The driveside crank had no issues on removal, the cap and bolt all good. The NDS not so good I lubed, tried heat, the cap stripped of the 5mm use. I'll come back to that with my drill and try a pin wrench. Dang!

I cleaned up the hubs, pretty good, the spin very happily. The front is 4x, the rear has been restrung to 3x. The rear also has some pitting, oh well. Still feeling squirrelly I went to the freewheel. Not a good idea, that needs some more penetrating time. The TRIMO was not enough and I was trying to hard, I'll come circle back on that.

youch!

The next check, the stem. Yeah, it's stuck. The headset lock nut was finger tight. I'm glad I didn't have to fight that loose. I started the soak last night.

Im also trying a different method for the stem removal. Holding the front wheel was going to be nowhere near stable enough. So I'm going to try the J-clamp. The one end on the fork crown and the other is in straddle of the downtube.

Am I crazy? Anybody else hear banjos?