Old 09-15-21, 08:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4488 Post(s)
Liked 4,161 Times in 2,784 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Top tier is actually less durable (though gets new technology first that later trickles down) because it's made to be light above all else. 2nd or 3rd tier is probably the sweet spot. Especially if you're not racing. The tech has had time to mature as it trickled down and the components are slightly heavier duty.
You should say that to my Dura Ace 7400 Groupset, it is from the Nineteen Hundred and Eighties and still works must be less durable. Also my old XT stuff is super durable and I have one from before XTR existed probably from 94 or so. Yes a wear item made of less durable materials will probably last a bit less then something made of stronger materials but that is not a result of top tier groupsets it is just a wear item made of a different material.

I can say Ultegra or XT is probably a better option for most people it works really well and is usually decently cheaper but is not necessarily more or less durable then Dura Ace or XTR. I will say generally Ultegra has always looked a bit better most of the time except maybe in the 9 speed era but that is not a reflection on durability either.