View Single Post
Old 09-16-21, 01:41 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8422 Post(s)
Liked 9,331 Times in 4,585 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
RAAM riders routinely cite Kansas as their least favorite state to ride through. Hot, pretty good chance of a 20 mph sustained crosswind if not a headwind much of the time, the western 1/3 of the state is where the "Kansas is flat" thing comes from, and plenty of aggro pickup drivers with questionable moral compasses. Plus the state is deceptively large and it takes a very, very long time to go west to east.

As someone who has lived here my whole life, yeah, I don't blame them.
We had a good time in Kansas until the eastern part where drivers started throwing things at us. Before that drivers would wait until it was safe to pass, then go into the other lane and smile and wave as they passed. People were super friendly at stores and everywhere, really. Kids would talk to us without fear and pretty women would say hello and act like it was a normal thing to do.
We rode into Chanute, Kansas and we were starving but the Mexican restaurant was closed between lunch and dinner. After the kid at the door told us that his mom sent him after us to tell us she would be happy to feed us. It was a feast and she just wanted to talk with us.
I thought most of Kansas was wonderful but we did have a day where it was like riding into a hair dryer.
Likes For big john: