Old 09-24-21, 06:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
After re-reading your rant I have come to the conclusion that you have just attacked my basic character and implied that I am probably stupid and uncaring. I realize the anonymous nature of the internet makes it easy to take a cheap shot, but somehow I take offense at your comments.

Let me point out a few things to you:

1. I was treated quite decently by the store. The manager respected me and my work. He understood the build quality issues, but he was in a bind and was pressured to comply by the regional manager. I've been in management positions, so I know how that stuff works. No job I ever held in 50 years was ideal or stress-free. It's the nature of a work environment - unless you are your own boss most adults will deal with things by either quitting to find the "perfect" job or just deal with things and go on. (Or maybe they go postal . . . . ?)

2. I was retired. This was not a career. But I needed something to help fill empty hours, and the job was good for me, kept me in touch with younger people. I rode for years, so it was a good fit and I liked selling bikes and helping people. Since my time was flexible, I worked whatever shift was needed, gave the store 100%, even with the normal management issues and retail nonsense. I tried my best to make the customer happy, not for the good of the store but because it was the right thing to do. (But - No matter what they say, the customer is not always right.)

3. If you read my post you would note that I mentioned my standard for bikes - safe enough for my only grandson. Does that sound like someone who "...truly does not care much about anything?" I was raised with a work ethic, a conscience, and a sense of personal responsibility. I may not be happy with the pay, customers, management, store policy, etc. -- but they hired me to do a job and I did it....as I did for 50+ years.

I think you may be sensing an insult when none was intended. The post he was responding to had an anecdote by you where you talked about the regional management rewarding speed and punishing care at the store you worked at, and your store managers apparently resisted by refusing to compromise quality. I took from that that at your store, the "good guys" won. Then you described your buying experience where you got bikes that were assembled very poorly and asked how they got that way. Maelochs was merely suggesting that at the store you bought them at, the bad management approach had won out. Workers can't be expected to take pride in their work if they're actually being punished for taking proper care.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-24-21 at 06:50 PM.
Likes For livedarklions: