View Single Post
Old 10-25-21, 01:04 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Hey guys, have any of you had your confidence on a bike shattered after a horrific injury? I broke my c5 vertebrae in my neck bodysurfing 2 months ago, had it taken out and im lucky im not paralyzed. Started riding again this week, and my confidence on descents is just totally shot. Its actually dangerous because i'm holding the brakes and just skittish all around. Used to be very comfortable on a bike, so this is eating at me. Will it come back in time, or are there things I should practice to regain my confidence.
Not exactly the same but: in 1972, I was in a head on collision: a drunk passed out, crossed the center lilne and slammed into me. I was in the hospital 65 days. In traction: broken, shattered femur in three places. For the next 5 years or so, I was always scared of everything while driving. And even more than driving, I coudlnt' stand to be in a car anyone was driving, as I wouldn't trust anyone.then I got a job for a couple of years as a Boston Cab driver. And being constantly in horrible traffic, sometimes in bad weather, etc....actually helped me put some fo that fear to rest. Though it still took longer than that to feel more "normal" (whatever the hell that is). I feel like it's behind me at this point, but most likely, I would feel different if that hadn't happened (some of the injuries have followed me around my whole life).