View Single Post
Old 11-01-21, 02:53 PM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
For comparison, this is what my SRAM Force mechanical/rim brake levers look like on standard road bars with no flare. The SRAM levers definitely stick out to the side a lot more than the Shimano levers do. I've never tried these levers on flared bars, but I have a feeling they'd be poking way out:

Yeah, I think mine did that too with the non-flared bar, but for some reason it wasn't as extreme feeling. I'm thinking its because PRO didn't want a super abrupt transition from the tops to the drops, so they blended the radius some and the hood clamp area is still in the blending zone, not the drop zone and so a tangent taken from the bar at the clamp area (basically a brake lever) shows MORE flare than it would appear. Then add the fact that the SRAM levers are already a bit canted out a bit and you've got an awkward lever position.

I think I'm going to give up on this flare experiment and get the same bar I had before. It bums me out since I like the concept, but I can't be spending hundreds of dollars to try stuff out that will have funny lever ergonomics.