Thread: Saddle Test!
View Single Post
Old 11-16-21, 09:03 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 1,110 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
What have been your saddle issues? My practice for a possible good fitting saddle was to do a century on it. That's maybe not practical for you now, but the thing is, you can't tell if it's really the right thing until after the 3rd hour. My experience in accumulating a few boxes of used saddles over the decades.
Issues: General pain during the 1200k, to the point of deciding to DNF (though I changed my mind), and numb dangly bits for a while afterwards. In 11 years of rando I've dealt with some stuff but I've never DNF'd a brevet of any length.

As far as my plan, I'll be doing a 200k every month, so those will be the long ride tests. Since I can only keep a saddle for a week, I'll use the weekly loaners to rule out the ones I really don't like. For the upcoming ride, I want to try a wider saddle with center cutout. I *could* do more than one 200k per month, but my resolve for riding dawn to dusk in 50F/rain/wind is limited.