View Single Post
Old 11-18-21, 03:30 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5047 Post(s)
Liked 8,303 Times in 3,922 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I always told people I was good at rest stops, the strongest part of my ride. I even suck at descending which people say is the domain of heavier riders. I'm not aero enough and I'm too high up and too wussy to let it all hang out in the turns. I could pull pretty good on the flats and into a headwind, I still have some remnants of that.

I could sprint at one time but that's history. I have noticed other older riders who can still climb cannot sprint at all. I have a friend who is 76 and can still out climb some other riders but it takes him a while to spool it up after a traffic light.
I definitely can't descend like I used to. Most of it is my own comfort and confidence at speed. It has returned a little, but the pucker line is a lot lower than it used to be.

Considering how long I was off the bike, I'm quite pleased at how much of my peak power returned.