View Single Post
Old 11-19-21, 01:51 PM
big john

Liked 9,424 Times in 4,628 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Been there, done that, on Mt Hamilton near San Jose. Cold at the bottom so I was wearing multiple layers, which got wet with sweat, and then later with drizzly fog closer to the top, so it was all soaked when I started back down. I think the trick, if it's like that, is to bring an extra set of tights and an extra jacket packed to stay dry, then swap at the top so. It was MISERABLE on the way down!
The guy in the white short sleeve, he wasn't with our group and nobody knew him but he started hanging around once he saw we had support. He should have turned back sooner but when you're climbing slow you stay warm and don't think about later. At least the first time you do it.

One time I stuffed a cheap ski jacket into my large Camelbak. I was totally comfortable on the way down but it sucked having that thing on my back for all the climbing. I started carrying a nylon hooded windbreaker as a fourth layer and everything fits in my back pockets including chemical warmers for my feet. Pcad taught me that one.