View Single Post
Old 11-28-21, 03:05 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by 700cMe
i could if i could find one that was worth visiting but why i mean theres more inventory knowledge and order reach on the internet than a local bike shop that only stocks 30-40 models.
Well, yeah. Except a local bike shop will help you get the correct fit which is probably more important than most of the other criteria in your original post. Do you know what size bike you need? If you buy from an LBS, they often do follow up maintenance and adjustments at no charge for the first couple of months. And you will establish a relationship that will prove valuable as you need advice, parts, or help with issues.

BIkes purchased on the internet will probably need some assembly and adjustment initially and then some adjustment after the first hundred or so miles. Are you comfortable doing that yourself? Sounds like you want a technically sophisticated bike. Do you know how to service disk brakes? Adjust derailleurs?

Although I don't recommend it, visiting a bike shop first is a good idea even if you eventually purchase online.

As to speed, your level of fitness is the engine that drives the bike. Most any modern road or touring bike will go as fast as you can pedal.