View Single Post
Old 12-04-21, 09:07 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4235 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,355 Posts
I have friends and had customers with both hubs and I can't say one was vastly better than the other. The Velocity hubs with two riders (out of maybe a half dozen total) seemed to wear their bearings at a faster rate than I thought was usual and the bearings for one were less common in the bike world suppliers. But they are easy to remove and replace so for me no big deal (and the hubs that wore through bearings might be a tolerance issue that increased their preload?) Shimano Deore hubs are pretty much the standard for many touring bikes and work well even if they are heavy (can't believe I said that) and spark little sizzle in most riders. Perhaps that aspect, they are a very common and have minimal negatives show them to be the better choice. Andy (who can debate either way)