johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
'70s Raleigh International - Customized

After selling a too big (60cm) Raleigh International to poprad recently, I found myself still pining for one in my size, as I otherwise really enjoyed the ride feel of this versatile sport tourer. As luck would have it, I did find one on eBay, and in keeping with my Motobecane Grand Record, this one has been customized and repainted.

Initially, I had plans of big, C&V appropriate changes, but I found that I really liked most everything about this bike already, and so decided to only change out the saddle, mismatched cantilever brakes, and bar tape. The QR skewers are also mismatched, so I have some Bontrager titanium skewers on the way from England, to match the wheel set.

It's a really nice setup, with Dura Ace crankset, 105 long cage rear derailer and brake levers, 10-speed Hyperglide cassette, Ultegra chain, Shimano bar end shifters, Bontrager Classic wheels and hubs, Bontrager seat post, Bontrager threadless stem and bars (apparently somebody really liked Bontrager stuff!). I do like the wide (44cm) Bontrager bars quite a bit.

Customizations include the addition of cantilever posts, three sets of water bottle bosses (would have had none originally), pump peg and nub on NDS seat stay, braze-on for rear lighting on seat tube, and modifications for direct fender attachment (even came with some leather washers), and repainted in Rally Blue (apparently a Subaru WRX color).

Anyway, here's the before and after pics (and more here):

Before:
1970s Raleigh International by John Jones, on Flickr

After:
1970s Raleigh International - Customized by John Jones, on Flickr
Likes For johnnyace: