cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I would NOT use pepper spray in the OPs situation. I would never pepper spray a dog that is not actually themselves being aggressive or posing a threat. And simply running up to me does not equate to a threat. In the OPs case, the issue is not the dog, but rather a negligent owner and a child with an irrational fear, which pepper spraying the dog is only going to enforce.
And do not assume pepper spray does not harm a dog. Teaching a dog that cyclists are a threat can have unintended consequences. If you truly feel you are in danger, then yes, use it, but do not do so lightly.
I love dogs (and all animals) but sorry, I disagree. Certainly not the dog's fault, but, owner needs to heed the request to get dog in hand.
Child is not being irrational, especially one so small/young.
Animals, even 'pets' can be unpredictable, in a case like this I would err on the cautious side.
pepper spray is acceptable as a deterent, if the dog gets close enough to get hit with it.
And, yes, give the owner fair warning and a chance to call the dog and get control.
If everyone acts appropriately, then no issues and only a few tense moments which quickly go away.
Make sure it's a BIG can, and keep it handy. Better to be reasonably prepared. And hope you never need it.
That's what Dads need to do.
Good on you for getting your child out!
Ride On
Yuri