View Single Post
Old 12-16-21, 01:25 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2371 Post(s)
Liked 2,902 Times in 1,582 Posts
Originally Posted by danallen
I finally got a look today at a decent lineup of hubs and saw many priced over $700 I didn't know hubs could be that expensive

So I'm forgetting about building wheels for sale I'm nowhere near ready for that obviously. I really am just trying to get oriented to wheels. It's been hard for me is getting a systematic understanding of what goes in two wheels at various prices. MJust now I found a decent supplier of various wheel components least compared to what I've seen so far and I found hubs gone for over $700 I didn't know they were that it's could be that expensive.

Reason I'm looking at wheels today is a need is to replace the wheels I'm running, because the caliper brakes have worn the wheel surfaces to a concave shape. I don't want to wait for the rims to break before I replace them. As I started shopping for wheels it was easy to create a theory that thousand dollar profit per wheel set seem possible. I figured it was probably not as easy as I was thinking but I couldn't see the details that's the birth of this thread

The wheels I'm running are Bontrager race X light kind of generic wheels with a cheap it now seems free hub that came with the bike when it was new in 2009. This bike (2009 Madone 5.2, Ultegra) retailed for $4000 when it was new, which seems kind a high to me. I got it in 2018 on eBay for $700. It was an excellent condition , pre-owned by a 70-year-old woman who sold it through her bike shop. It was in perfect condition when he sent it to me.

I like doing all the work on my bike that I possibly can. When I replace it I probably will build up from a frame starting with one of those no label Chinese carbon jobs off of eBay. I think I'll spring for a new Ultegra DI2. I'll probably go with carbon wheels but I have no idea which ones

Started thinking about building wheels for sale was I saw wheels sets going for way over $1000 and I had no idea what went in to making them from component standpoint. Even though I don't have experience building wheels from what I understand it's not that hard to do so I was picturing profits of over $1000 on a wheel set. I suspected that was unrealistic but I didn't know the details. Does the birth of this thread now I've been shaking a little bit at reality though I still think I'd like to build my own wheel set in the future just because I think it's cool even if I can't save any money doing it.

I'd very much like to thank you for responding with such valuable information so probably it really makes adapting 1 million times easier so I can't think you enough, but thank you.
if you are looking for wheels for your self, you often can't build them as cheaply as shops the specialize

check these out for reference

white T11 hubs and H+Son rimes $739 https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=625

105 hubs and mavic open pro $299 https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=2743