Thread: MIPS vs Fit
View Single Post
Old 12-22-21, 09:36 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Kask makes my favorite helmets overall. I have a Utopia and a Valegro. Great quality, great fit, great ventilation and good looks. They're expensive but to me you're getting what you pay for with Kask. Personally, if the Mojito fits you well and you like it, I would go for that.

The Bell Z20 MIPS has a unique MIPS design that avoids impinging airflow and I can certainly attest that it has terrific ventilation. It's also super comfortable, relatively affordable and is low profile. I like that helmet a lot. I also like Poc's helmets a lot, I have a Tectal Race Spin I use for MTB that's terrific and my friends swear by their road helmets.

Wavecel is absolute garbage: way too hot. Avoid, IMO.

If you look at the (famous? infamous?) VA Tech ratings, helmets with MIPS clearly outperform non-MIPS helmets. There's healthy debate about the validity of VA Tech's testing methodology, I'm no expert so I have no opinion. VA Tech hasn't tested Kask helmets. I know that all Kask helmets sold in the US are beefed up a bit vs. the European-sold models to meet US testing standards. Kask says their helmets easily outperform the European standards.