View Single Post
Old 01-06-22, 12:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10608 Post(s)
Liked 12,226 Times in 6,267 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Understandable in the sticks. Until 5th grade I went to school in the Philly 'burbs. Bus ride involved some hilly backroads, and snow would stick more easily out there. We were closed many days when city schools were open, which presented problems because mom taught public school in the city. Grandma usually came to watch us.

Went to high school at a boarding school in western MA. One day it snowed so hard and so fast that they closed school that afternoon so staff/faculty members who did not live in town could get home. The only thing that stayed open was the cafeteria. And we are talking about people who were used to driving in snow. At one point snow was falling at a rate of at least 3"/hour.
Yeah. A LOT of the students lived on farms that were along roads that weren't wide enough for a center line. It was a while before they got around to plowing those.

As long as I'm reminiscing about snow - which is something I have the privilege of doing, living where there is none - my parent's house was on a large lot, especially for being in town. 1 3/4 acres. So there was a LONG sidewalk to shovel, which we were legally required to do. The requirement was only for a path to be shoveled, so I always wanted to do just one shovel wide. Dad insisted on my shovelling the full width. Then there was the driveway, which was almost as long as the lot was wide, and ended in a turnaround by the garage. Then there was shoveling a path to the turnaround from the house. There was a LOT of snow shovelling to be done. When I, the last of the kids, went off to college, Dad immediately bought himself the snow blower I'd bugged him to get for years.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: