View Single Post
Old 01-07-22, 03:06 PM
Flatlander45

Bikes: 1984 Centurion Accordo, 1981 Miyata 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I am hoping to reach my comment/post threshold soon so I can include some pictures of the bikes in question. I love hearing you all discuss your rigs (past and present). I am still quite a novice when it comes to bike parts and their maintenance and look forward to learning from those kore experienced.

Ran into some unfortunate news this morning. I took the Miyata 1000 to a local shop I trust to have them look the bike over (I picked it up last week on FB marketplace and posted pictures of it on a vintage bicycle sub****** where several of the members alerted me to a potential bend in the fork). Turns out, not only is the front fork bent, but the frame is most likely bent at the head tube (took measurements, chipped paint in a tell-tale location). May seek out a second opinion, but the fram may be toast. I never actually got a chance to ride the bike. I am spending the remainder of today contemplating my options. It came with Phil Wood hubs and bottom bracket, amount other parts/accessories that could help recoup my investment. I may try and finance a new/different tourer by selling off parts, or look for a frame in my size for ~$500 and use the 1000 as a donor. May reach out to some framebuilders about fixing the damage, though I shudder at the cost this endeavor will have on both my wallet and the Miyata’s paint.