View Single Post
Old 01-12-22, 02:40 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5067 Post(s)
Liked 8,370 Times in 3,951 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Probably slightly better chance of getting hit in the car.

The consequences are likely higher on the bike, though. First, you are the lightning rod on the bike, so all 10-200,000 amps will come through you before it gets to the bike. And 1" or so of bike tire rubber isn't as good an insulator as a car tire. Second, that lightning current will be dispersed through the car; in the car you'll probably say "Wow!" and, at worse, need to have some wiring and electronics replaced. That's harder for a neurologist than for an auto mechanic.
I ride one of them plastic bikes, so I have a little more insulation from the ground than just the tire. Come to think about it, the only ferrous metal parts on my bike are probably bolts. In reality, I'm not going to ride in a thunderstorm because I'm soft AF with weather.

EDIT: I guess I can add spokes, bearings, and BB spindle to the ferrous metal parts. It still ain't a whole lot.

Last edited by Eric F; 01-12-22 at 03:10 PM.